I am ready to go back.
Now, if you're a fellow teacher reading this, be careful of the desire to smack me for saying that. This summer has been too hot here in Amarillo to have much fun, I am bored, and so I am ready to get back into the classroom. I know, I know - I stated in my last blog post that I'm tired, and I am. HOWEVER, the cool thing about being a teacher is that every August we get to start over! So for now, after watching too many streaming Netflix movies (Lucille Ball, Betty Grable, Bing Crosby - the oldies), reading a little more than six books on my Kindle, working out at Curves, and checking Facebook way too many times a day, I am ready to go back.
I think tomorrow I'll go see how hot my classroom is. The administration hasn't been running the AC, so I know I'll have to take a fan, but I'm ready to arrange the desks, put posters on the walls, rearrange the book shelves, and in general reestablish my territorial rights on the room. :-)
I actually want to get in there to begin praying. I like to think that God hand-picks every student who will occupy a desk in my room. I like to picture the look on kids' faces if it just so happens that Jesus returns in the middle of a school day & I can gladly announce: "OK, kids! Forget about yesterday's homework assignment! It really doesn't matter now anyway!" Yeah, yeah...I know...some of them already don't think the work matters, but it's my job to make them think that it does (for now). I know the real TRUTH, though. God has each one in my room for reasons I may or may not ever understand. My "real" job is to pray for them, be an example of God's love for them, and to listen to their hearts as I sometimes am called to stand in the gap for them. It's my "Africa." Thank God He never called me to minister from some hut in a village in Africa, but He did call me to the public school classroom.
I am ready to go back. For now I will continue to heed the calling. Our days are numbered; time is short. We each have jobs to do for the Lord. I pray today that you are right where He wants you to be - doing exactly what He's called you to do. Be blessed today! Tammi
Awesome. You know that I so understand. I was always ready to go back when I was still teaching except when the last public school went to year round (or "Continuous Learning Calendar"). I spent all summer praying for my next set of kiddos. Yes, if one is called to teach, the classroom does become "Africa" or "China" as a mission field. Well done thou good and faithful servant (A.K.A. teacher).
ReplyDeleteT. Applegate